DAY 8: CAPOEIRA CLASS

Ever since I saw these guys on a street corner a few years ago in London, I have wanted to try Capoeira.  And on DAY 8 I got my chance!


My inspiration for Day 8

Beautiful to watch, Capoeira (pronounced ka-poo-eh-da) is an Afro-Brazilian art form that combines elements of martial arts, music, and dance.  The history of the art is unclear but most people believe that it began in the 1500's when Africans were brought to Brazil to be used as slaves by the Portuguese.

In an effort to preserve their culture and through their desire for freedom, the slaves started to develop techniques for defending themselves and for escape.  Obviously they weren't allowed to practise martial arts openly, so deadly fighting techniques were disguised through dance and music, resulting in a dangerous 'seemingly harmless dance'.

Capoeira or the Dance of War by Johann Moritz Rugendas, 1825, published in 1835 courtesy of Wikipedia















This trickery is what separates Capoeira, and although a lot of the kicks look similar to other martial arts, the difference is in the delivery.  Fakes and deceiving movements are made with style and grace.  
(Source: ABADA CAPOEIRA AUSTRALIA site & Wikipedia)




So on DAY 8, we went to the ABADA CAPOEIRA AUSTRALIA beginners class in Ultimo, to have a go at this ancient art.  Our instructor Cipo took us and the class through the warm up, followed by movements and kicks with partners.  I discovered a) I'm about as flexible as an 80 year old and b) I can no longer do cartwheels.  Not sure when I lost that ability... somewhere between age 7 and 30?



Then we got to the fun bit - the 'Roda' at the end of the class, which is a circle of people (other 'capoeiristas') waiting to 'play' and observers.  Music and singing accompanied the Roda, using instruments like the Agogo (double cowbell), Pandeiro (tambourine), Atabaque (conga type drum) and the Berimbau.  Part of the song everyone was singing in Portugese was translated for me later, and from what I can gather was about a sailor who sang about being 'not from here'.  There was also a burst of 'Happy Birthday' for one of the class members thrown in amongst the traditional songs!



I was a bit nervous to get involved (due to the aforementioned inflexibility and lack of cartwheel skills) however the group were so friendly, spending time explaining the movements in the partner work, that we were made to feel part of the class - we even had a go in the Roda at the end (with some coaxing from our instructor)!


Trying to distract from my bad form with a Pulp Fiction move here


My frog style aint gonna cut it!  More practise required if I want to be as good as the rest of the class....


And this is how it's meant to be done....
Bru gets involved....



I came away from the night with a real appreciation for the sense of the heritage, culture and community within Capoeira.  After the 30 days madness is over I'd be keen to get more involved in the art form, and would encourage anyone who is looking for a form of exercise with a little something extra for mind and soul to give it a go.

http://www.abadacapoeira.com.au/

Huge thanks to our instructor and all of the class members of the ABADA CAPOEIRA AUSTRALIA beginners class in Ultimo who were so welcoming and made our first Capoeira experience so enjoyable!


No comments:

Post a Comment